I realize the subject of hell has become completely taboo in our culture. Many Christians have even begun to deny its existence. But the same Bible that teaches about Jesus, heaven, love, and salvation also teaches about a very real place called “hell.” Jesus describes it as a place of “unquenchable fire” (Mark 9:43). And it might surprise you who will spend eternity there.
Here is a list of eight people, from Revelation 21:8, that will be spending eternity in hell. This list is hardly exhaustive.
- Those who let their fear keep them from being obedient to God will spend eternity in hell.
- Those who do not believe in God – and those who do not remain faithful to Him – will spend eternity in hell.
- Those who behave in a “detestable” way will spend eternity in hell.
- Those who are murderers will spend eternity in hell.
- Those who are sexually immoral (adulterers, fornicators, homosexuals, etc.) will spend eternity in hell.
- Those who practice sorcery will spend eternity in hell.
- Those who are worshipers of idols will spend eternity in hell.
- Those who are liars will spend eternity in hell.
I realize it isn’t politically correct to say someone is going to hell. But the truth is, millions of people are headed there. All of us deserve to go there, but only those who follow Christ will avoid it (Romans 6:23)! So, if you are not faithfully following Christ, repent now! As long as you are still alive, it is not too late for you to avoid this destiny!
Jesus said unless you repent you will perish (Luke 13:3). He said if one of your body parts causes you to sin, cut it off or pluck it out, “For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell” (Matthew 5:30). God has provided a way for you to avoid hell, but you must avail yourself to the opportunity. If you do not respond to God’s offer of salvation, you will find yourself in a place of unspeakable torment (Luke 16:28).
Hell is nothing to be laughed at or joked about. It should be the absolutely most sobering topic in the world. Jesus will return. And when He does, he will do so “in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might” (2 Thessalonians 1:7-9).
You might say – as many do – but that’s not fair! And you’d be right…if you were perfect! But you’re not perfect. You’re not even close to perfect – and neither am I (Romans 3:23)!
I’ll tell you what’s not fair. What’s not fair is that Jesus died so you and I could avoid spending eternity in that horrible place! That’s not fairness; that’s grace (Ephesians 2:8). Trust me, you don’t want fairness. You want mercy!
I hope – if you have not obeyed the gospel of Christ or if you are not currently living as a faithful disciple – you will make the necessary changes and avoid the coming judgement.
I love you and God loves you,