There are certainly thousands of things a Christian should never be, so this is far from an exhaustive list. But here are 7 things, from 1 Thessalonians 5:14-18, a Christian should never be.
1 Thessalonians 5:14-16
(14) And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. (15) See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. (16) Rejoice always, (17) pray without ceasing, (18) give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1. A Christian Should Never be Idle (1 Thessalonians 5:14)
Idle is defined as, “Not working or active…doing nothing.” This doesn’t mean we can never stop working momentarily and rest; but like our Lord, we need to constantly be about our Father’s business.
2. A Christian Should Never be a Discouraging (1 Thessalonians 5:14)
Christians ought to be people who build up; never tear down. Paul says in Ephesians 4:29 that every word that comes from our mouth should be good for building up. Even when we have to admonish someone, it should be done in an encouraging way.
3. A Christian Should Never be too Busy to Help Others (1 Thessalonians 5:14)
If you are too busy with your own life to “help the weak,” you’re too busy (Galatians 6:10).
4. A Christian Should Never be Impatient (1 Thessalonians 5:14)
Patience is indicative of love (1 Corinthians 13:4) and walking “by the Spirit” (Galatians 5:16-23). Therefore, no Christian should be comfortable being characterized as impatient.
5. A Christian Should Never be Vengeful (1 Thessalonians 5:15)
Pretty straight forward, “See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.”
6. A Christian Should Never be Without Joy (1 Thessalonians 5:16)
In spite of any circumstance, we can rejoice because we know that we are on our way home! And everything that happens between now and then can only make us stronger. James says, “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing” (James 1:2-4).
7. A Christian Should Never be Ungrateful (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18)
Praying without ceasing and giving thanks in every circumstance is, “the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” If we realize we are saved by grace through faith, and that salvation “is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8), we ought not let a moment go by where we could be characterized as “ungrateful.” Christians should be the very personification of gratitude!
Although these are 7 things that we ought never to be, I know that I have been each of them. We are all working at becoming more and more what we should be and less what we should not be. I am thankful to be striving with you, and I’m extremely thankful for the grace of God through which I’ve been saved!
I love you and God loves you,
P.S. What other things can you think of that a Christian should never be? Feel free to share in the comments below.